1/2 lb. dry sea scallops
1/2 lb. Alaska spot shrimp
1 quart Hugs Broth fish bone broth
Fresh Lo Mein noodles
1/2 cup enoki mushrooms
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 small knob fresh ginger
2 tbsp. white miso paste
2 tsp. fish sauce or Dashi (bonito flake and kombu)
Corn (fresh or frozen)
Sushi nori sheets
Togarashi (Japanese red chili spice blend)
Credit: Marty Gallipeau
1. Add fish bone broth to a pot and bring to a simmer. Allow the broth to simmer while you prepare the toppings.
2. In a small saucepan, add mirin and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and add enoki mushrooms. Let simmer for ten minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through.
3. In a small pot, heat water to boil the eggs. Once boiling, add eggs and cook for six and a half minutes. Once eggs are soft-boiled, remove and set aside. Next, add Lo Mein noodles to the boiling water and allow noodles to cook for about four minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Pat sea scallops dry and peel shrimp and season with salt. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter. Once hot, sear scallops and shrimp for one minute per side. Set aside.
5. In two serving bowls, grate fresh ginger (about one teaspoon per bowl). Add one tablespoon of miso paste and one teaspoon of fish sauce or dashi to each bowl. Ladle broth into each bowl and whisk well. Add noodles, corn, mushrooms, shrimp, scallops, scallion, sliced soft boiled eggs, nori, drizzle of chili oil and dash of togarashi.