New England Fishmongers, a community-supported fishery/seafood business providing sustainably-caught seafood to New Englanders who believe in eating with the ecosystem, seeks an Assistant Manager for the Summer 2021 Farmers Market Program.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual to join our team. We operate one commercial fishing vessel out of Portsmouth, NH and a HACCP-certified seafood processing plant located in Dover, NH. As a business, we strive to foster an environment of growth and teamwork and develop our employees’ skills.
The right person for our team will assist us in promoting sustainable fishing practices while bringing our catch directly to consumers in the seacoast.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assist in managing and leading our growing farmers market program.
- Assist in managing all aspects of program operations. Includes managing 4-6 market staff members and resources, managing an in/out inventory system, staging market/event supplies, setting schedules, and standardizing operating procedures.
- Continually assess program operations with an eye toward growth and greater efficiency, making recommendations for statistical and narrative justice improvements. With that, proactively guide employees and operations through periods of sometimes rapid transition.
- Management of market staff including packing coolers and market kits, etc.
- Lead the development and administration of sales tools, policies, and procedures.
- Contribute to accurate financial management through the timely submission of sales reports, inventory tracking, expense tracking, cash bag accounting, and weekly deposits.
- Occasional travel throughout NH, MA and ME.
- Weekend availability is required as the majority of the markets will occur on Saturday and Sunday from May through September.
- Must have reliable access to a smartphone.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, and WordPress.
- High level of attention to detail, process, and protocol.
- Demonstrate ability to manage daily operations in the absence of specific instruction or supervision.
- Flexibility to help with tasks other than the farmers market program, including home deliveries and wholesale program.
- Prior understanding of the Farmers Market structures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, can effectively communicate and inspire with a good intuition toward salesmanship.
- Natural problem solver and ability to create solutions “on-the-fly.”
- Passion for creating a closer connection between the consumer and the fisher, in an effort to celebrate and conserve New England’s natural marine resources.
- Must be able to work both Saturday and Sunday from May through September.
- Willingness to work flexible hours and to work overtime as needed.
- Preferred Experience: 2-5 years of in-field sales experience and brand storytelling/promotion.
- Team management experience. Program or department management experience preferred.
- Some experience within small-scale local or organic food production. College Degree or relevant experience required.
- Working Conditions and Physical Requirements: Office, warehouse, and regular in-field work.
- Must be able to lift and maneuver 30 to 50lbs daily. Ability to stand for the total duration of the shift (up to 8 hours) in various weather conditions.
- Comfortable with food handling and prep.
- Any food safety certifications are a plus.
- Comfort in handling dry ice and frozen seafood (protective gloves provided).